Wednesday 20th May 2020.
Activities to complete today (if you can):
- Reading: Spend at least 30 minutes answering reading comprehensions on Read Theory. Link: https://readtheory.org/auth/login?login_error=1
- Reading: Spend at least 30 minutes reading a book of your choice. If possible, adults to ask questions about the book after they have finished reading. Link to possible questions you could ask: https://www.abss.k12.nc.us/cms/lib/NC01001905/Centricity/Domain/36/Parent%20Book%20Talk%20flyer.pdf
- Spellings: On the ‘Attachments’ section of our Class Page, you will find a spellings document. Please practise these spellings ahead of retaking the spelling test later in the week. You will need an adult or an older brother or sister to help you with the dictation during this task.
- Maths: Use the link below:
Click on Week 5, Lesson 3 – Add Mixed Numbers. Watch the video, do the activity, mark your answers. If you have any questions, or are struggling in some way – please get in contact with myself on Dojo and I will try my best to help you! The questions and answer sheets are on the ‘Attachments’ section of today’s work on our school class page.
(Remember – if this material to too hard for your child at this stage in their development or without the resources they would have access to in school – please do not worry about doing this. You are also welcome to try lower year group work if you feel this would be beneficial. Please contact me if you think this applies to yourself.)
p.s. Please message me to let me know when you have done your maths work – it is nice to see it, as I cannot see it like I could on Purple Mash. Thanks!
- Writing Task – This week we are focusing on the infamous voyage of the Titanic.
Watch this clip of passengers boarding the ship, taken from the 1997 film Titanic:
https://www.youtube.com/wat ch?v=lYlc30NtRy8 (Note: Although the film has a 12 certificate, this clip is age appropriate). Now, watch again – pausing at key points as you watch, and writing down words or phrases for the things you can see and hear in the clip, such as: cars arriving, crowds of people, third-class passengers having a health inspection and the ship’s horn.
When you have done this - go back and improve your words and phrases for example, ‘cars arriving’ may become ‘luxurious cars arrived on the dock’ and ‘crowds of people’ may become ‘the crowds of people were like a swarm of ants’. You may want to use www.wordhippo.com as a resource to help improve your vocabulary.
Your task - Once you have improved your sentences, have a go at writing this scene in narrative form (e.g. as a story). Imagine this scene is for a new opening of a story about Titanic. Write the opening to the story retelling this scene. Don’t forget to include the words and phrases you have written. You can select whether your opening is written in first person, ‘As I arrived, I saw Titanic for this first time’ or third person ‘As Character name (you choose your character) arrived, she/he saw Titanic for the first time.’ Make sure you continue to proof-read your work.
Remember, if you are not sure or need any help with anything on here – just contact myself on Dojo.