Wednesday 25th March 2020 (Also my birthday!)
Activities to complete today:
- Reading: Spend at least 30 minutes answering reading comprehensions on Read Theory. Link: https://readtheory.org/auth/login?login_error=1
- Reading: Spend at least 30 minutes reading a book of your choice. If possible, adults to ask questions about the book after they have finished reading. Link to possible questions you could ask: https://www.abss.k12.nc.us/cms/lib/NC01001905/Centricity/Domain/36/Parent%20Book%20Talk%20flyer.pdf
- Grammar: ‘Box the word’ activity on Purple Mash. This activity is about identifying word classes e.g. decide whether the highlighted word is a noun or an adjective etc. They then have to sort them into the correct boxes.
- Maths: ‘Division Mixture’ game on Purple Mash. This game is a race between you and the computer. Get the division questions right before it is too late to save your rocket ship!
- Maths: ‘Bryony’s Triangle’ activity. This is a challenge with only one question. It is tricky, and requires everything you know about fractions so far. The link is here: https://nrich.maths.org/7392&part=. Watch the video and then answer the question.
- Challenge 1: Can you make the flower?
- Challenge 2: Can you tell me what fraction the tiny triangle is of the whole piece of paper? Why do you think that? Send your photos and answers to me on email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or on Class Dojo.
***If your child struggled with the maths activity yesterday – please rewatch the tutorial video and then redo the ‘Equivalent fractions’ activity on Purple Mash instead.***
Activities to be completed by next Monday (CONTINUED FROM YESTERDAY):
- Writing: The children need to familiarise themselves with the Greek Myth of Jason and the Argonauts. Here is just one of the many video clips available online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peFwikd2-bw. The children’s writing tasks this week are to:
- Read/watch the story of Jason and the Argonauts.
- Write a storyboard of what happens in the story, including drawings to help them internalise the story.
- To create a vocabulary bank for each of the main characters using an online thesaurus.
*The children should be very familiar with this writing sequence as we do this with every piece of writing we do. Work should be completed in their writing books or on Microsoft Word. The work does not need to be emailed to me until Monday next week.
- Spellings: Instead of project work this week – children need to work on their spellings. Page 52 of the ‘NNS Year 5’ document are spellings that the children need to be able to spell by the end of the year. Please practise these daily in groups of no more than 5. If your child has been sent their own personalised spelling sheet – please practise these instead.
If you have any questions about any of the above, please contact myself on Class Dojo.